Last week I came across this article on IrishHealth.com on depression where it states “It is believed that depression is linked to an imbalance of chemicals within the brain” and SNRI’s “work on both serotonin and noradrenaline to achieve a better balance of chemicals in the brain to alleviate depression”. The chemical imbalance theory again? No such thing has ever been proven!! There is no test, never has been, which can prove any chemical is related to depression. It was a theory which drug companies used (and gullible doctors copied) to persuade people that there was something inherently wrong with their brain.
Anyway, it made me think about the ridiculous things drug company representatives have said and subsequently been caught out. Here’s a selection….
(1) Pfizer, speaking of Celebrex: They swallowed our story, hook, line and sinker,” Link.
(2) Lundbeck, speaking of Indocin IV (used for treating premature babies): “We can price these almost anywhere we want given the product profiles”Link.
(3) Pfizer, speaking of Zoloft and Prozac: ‘Marketing are very aware that a patient on Zoloft involved in an incident of mass homicide could severly affect the image and commercial success of Zoloft’. “I do not think fluoxetine are ‘out of the woods’ as regards their association with violence/ suicidality.” Link.
(4) Eli-Lilly, Speaking of Prozac: “Anything that happens in the UK (England) can threaten this drug (Prozac) in the US and worldwide. We are now expending enormous efforts fending off attacks because of (1) relationship to murder and (2) inducing suicidal ideation.” Link.
(5) Eli-Lilly, Speaking of Prozac: “I do not think I could explain to the BGA, a judge, to a reporter or even to my family why we would do this especially on the sensitive issue of suicide and suicidal ideation.” Link.
(6) GSK, Speaking of Seroxat: “The evidence, however, is clear, these medicines are not linked with suicide, these medicines are not linked with an increased rate of self harm.” Of course that was before they had to admit that Seroxat actually could cause suicide Link.
(7) GSK, Again speaking of Seroxat: “I utterly refute any allegations we are sitting on data, that [we] have withheld data or anything like that.” That was before GSK were found guilty of hiding the data, including suicides, caused by Seroxat Link, and hiding the data which included heart risks and deaths caused by Avandia Link.
(8) GSK: ‘The vast majority of drugs – more than 90 per cent – only work in 30 to 50 per cent of the people, I wouldn’t say that most drugs don’t work. I would say that most drugs work in 30 to 50 per cent of people. Drugs out there on the market work, but they don’t work in everybody.” Link.
(9) Lundbeck, statement after Shane’s Inquest: “Extensive scientific studies have shown that there is no evidence linking citalopram to violent behaviour.” and “A review of all available data for citalopram (that from clinical trials and that collated after the medicine was made available) shows no increased risk of suicide.” Silly billies…They had forgotten about writing this letter to the Canadians warning of ‘self harm and harm to others’, Link
GSK’s stupid statements came courtesy of ‘Seroxat sufferers stand up and be counted’ Here. He actually gave me a page-load but I decided to keep it short!