For any family who finds themselves in a similar situation to ours; I’m so sorry. Alas, the following reports and papers might be of help to you. The links below show what we have done since Shane’s death and what we have learned since. For comprehensive information on any medication, click on the RxISK picture below or use the search tool on the right.
For anyone contemplating going on antidepressant medication, please inform yourself first of the risks. These drugs are far from harmless, yet are handed out with wild abandon. The black-box and EU warnings that attach to these drugs are there precisely because they are dangerous. Making an informed decision was a luxury which we as a family never had; hence our son Shane is dead. Ignore a doctor or psychiatrist who says SSRIs are harmless; he/she is an idiot. Don’t let yourself or a family member add to the collateral damage associated with these drugs. I hope the following can help:
Professor Healy’s Report March 2010 – for Shane’s Inquest.
FDA Antidepressant Guide; Here
EU Warning; Here
EU Warning upped to 25; Here
Example Black Box warning; Here
Irish Psychiatry and the ‘Shane Clancy Affair’. Here.
Our meeting with the drug company (Lundbeck). Link.
The Dáil; Here
The Seanad (Senate); Here
Leinster House with the experts; Here
IHRC Recommendations; Here
Withdrawal guide – Healy_Withdrawal_July_09[1
Medical Council Complaint- Link.
2. ‘Suicidality, Violence and Mania Caused by SSRIs; Dr Peter R Breggin here.
3. Drugs associated with violence. Here.
4. The Systemic Correlation Between Psychiatric Medications and Unprovoked Mass Murder in America. Jeanne M. Stolzer Here.
5. Case Histories As Evidence. David Healy et al. Here.
6. SSRIs and Involuntary Intoxication Defense. Wade C. Myers et al. Here.
7. Fort Hood Shooters. Donald J Farber, Attorney at Law. Here.
8. Prescribed drugs and violence: a case/noncase study in the French PharmacoVigilance Database. Rouve et al. Here.
9. Antidepressant-induced akathisia-related homicides associated with diminishing mutations in metabolizing genes of the CYP450 family. Lucire et al. Here.
10. Precursors to suicidality and violence on antidepressants: systematic review of trials in adult healthy volunteers. Bielefeldt et al. Here.